What Are The Best Motorcycle Battery In 2019 (Quick Guide for Buyers)
Are you looking for the best motorcycle battery that is available in the market today? Believe us when we say that your search is not going to be easy. The options will be endless.
There are different brands and models, each claiming to be the best. For the uneducated buyer, it is easy to make a decision in haste, but you should never resort to doing such.
My comparison table about 5 best motorcycle batery in the market that i research.
|ExpertPower 12V 7 Amp EXP1270 Rechargeable Lead Acid Battery||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Chrome Battery YTX12-BS High Performance - Maintenance Free - Sealed iGel Motorcycle Battery||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|MX30L - MOTORCYCLE BATTERY - 600+ CCA||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Pirate Battery YTX20L-BS High Performance Power Sports Battery||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Top Best Motorcycle Battery Reviews
1. ExpertPower 12V 7 Amp EXP1270 Rechargeable Lead Acid Battery
Here, we have a battery that is a little bit different than the rest of the products we mentioned in this list, mainly because of its versatility. These days it is mostly used to power alarms, but it has a plethora of different applications.
EXP1270 is a sealed lead-acid battery that utilizes AGM technology which makes it spill-proof and maintenance free. It can be used for a variety of purposes such as security systems, automobiles, uninterruptible power systems, electric scooters, wheelchairs, etc.
The body of this model is made from special, non-conductive plastic that is resistant to shock, vibration, and heat. Its dimensions are 6” x 2.5” x 3.6” which is a pretty standard size for this kind of battery.
It is a 12-volt battery, and it has a charge of 7 Ah. It is also rechargeable, and the package includes a charger.
The product comes with a 30-day return warranty, in case that you are not satisfied with it, as well as a one-year limited warranty.
2. Chrome Battery YTX12-BS High Performance - Maintenance Free - Sealed iGel Motorcycle Battery
If you are looking for a battery that will prove to be excellent when it comes to the ease of use and maintenance, this is one that should be on the top of your list. There is no need to be worried about spilling and leaking. You won't need to check the water level at all.
The LED digital display is one of its best features, providing it with an edge above other products on the marketplace. This will make it easy to monitor the functioning of the battery and is one thing that makes it user-friendly as well.
The design of the terminals is one more thing that should be noted. It is well-built and the high-quality materials have been used. You can be sure that it will be able to withstand the test of time and will demonstrate the same superior quality throughout the years.
Lastly, with this model, you can be confident that your money will not go to waste. The manufacturer is offering a 60-day money back guarantee. Within such period, if you are unhappy in any way, you can return the product and the manufacturer will issue an unconditional refund. This is going to provide you with a guarantee of your satisfaction.
3. MX30L - MOTORCYCLE BATTERY - 600+ CCA
This model comes to us from Throttle X, and it can be a great solution for people who want a reliable battery at a reasonable price.
When it comes to the type, this battery has absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology. Also, the heat-sealed cover ensures that there will be no leaks whatsoever no matter if you are riding or if the bike is in storage.
MX30L is maintenance-free, so it can be a good choice for those who do not want to have too much hassle with their battery. It comes fully charged and all one has to do is install it and enjoy the ride afterward.
This battery has a cold cranking amp (CCA) of 600, meaning that it has no problems starting in low temperatures, so bikers who live in places with harsh winters will definitely be interested in this feature.
For all those wondering about the product’s size, here are its dimensions - 6 5/8” x 5 3/16” x 6 7/8”. Also, the weight of MX30L is 22.5 lbs
The manufacturer offers an 18-month warranty for this battery.
4. Pirate Battery YTX20L-BS High Performance Power Sports Battery
If you are looking for a high-performer, then YTX20L-BS from Pirate Battery might be suitable for your needs.
First of all, this is a lead acid battery, which is one of the most reliable types of rechargeable batteries ever made. To prevent leaks and corrosion, this product works based on AGM technology, and its lead calcium alloy construction further promotes this characteristic.
YTX20L has a standard 12V, and a CCA of 270, which is a lot lower than the previous model we reviewed. It is also maintenance free and comes fully charged when bought.
What enables this model its high performance are the heavy duty terminals and extreme vibration resistance, making the battery more durable to physical damage; this is a crucial factor in motorcycling.
The dimension of this battery are 6/1” x 6 8/9” x 3.43” and a weight of 13.9 pounds so that it can fit a great variety of motorcycle models. When it comes to warranty, the manufacturer offers 18 months, and to reassure you in the quality of the product there is a 60-day money back guarantee.
5. Yuasa YUAM320BS YTX20L-BS Battery
Here we have another model from Yuasa because this company seems to have only the highest standards for battery production.
This battery is completely sealed, and spill proof and all of its acid is absorbed in special plates, as well as AGM separators. This also means that you will not have to add any water ever. Its lead-calcium technology can hold gravity up to 3 times longer than some other models.
An output voltage of 12V and 18 amps-per-hour give this batter the ability to power off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles when riding through inaccessible areas. The 270 CCA’s is a pretty good number, but there are batteries that pack more.
The dimensions of YUAM320BS are 6/9” x 3/3” x 6/1, " and its weight is 14.8 pounds which puts it among the heavier products on our list.
Unlike other batteries we reviewed, this one does not come charged, but the retailer sends it dry with acid bottles. However, the filling process is very simple, and there should be no difficulties when doing this.
The battery never needs refilling, but it will require being charged from time to time. It comes with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.
If you love your motorcycles, you should exert effort in finding the right battery. A lot of people may make a decision based on the cheapest option available, but this can actually put you at risk. You might regret choosing one with a cheap one since in most instances, it means that the quality and functionality will be inferior. You should consider your battery as an investment,which is why you should never hesitate to spend more if it means being able to enjoy better quality.
In this guide, we will inspect and compare several potential choices for the best motorcycle battery. We will also give you a short guide on how you can pick one yourself. By the time that you are finished reading, you will be an educated buyer and you will find it easier to make the right choice. If you want recharge your battery, the best battery tender is the excellent product to do that.
How to Choose the Best Motorcycle Battery
In this part of our guide, we will discuss some of the most important factors that will have an impact on your choice for the best motorcycle battery.
1. Types of Motorcycle Battery
The first thing that you have to do is to decide on the type of the motorcycle battery that you will be purchasing. You can opt for absorbed glass mat or AGM battery. It comes with a special mat, which has the primary function to wick the electrolytes coming from the battery. It is known for its versatility, which makes it perfect in a wide array of applications, such as in marine, solar, and audio, more than just for motorcycles.
Another option would be gel cell battery. This type of battery is built with a silica-like gel, which is the one that is basically responsible for the suspension of the electrolytes. It allows the electrons to flow freely in the plate and can provide you with the guarantee that they won’t leak, even in the event that the battery breaks.
2. Look at the Technical Specifications
For most buyers, especially for those who do not know much about motorcycle batteries, they might ignore the technical specs in spite of the fact that they are amongst the most important. One of the first things that should be looked at would be the cold cranking amps, which will be indicative of the ability of the battery to start even when in a cold environment. If you are living in a cold place, you should consider picking a battery with higher CCA.
You should also consider the reserve capacity of the battery. This will refer to the number of minutes required for a fully charged battery to get discharged at a particular temperature. You should opt for a longer reserve capacity, which will be indicative of better quality as well.
3. Other Things to Consider
- Go beyond price. Most of the cheap models can also be inferior regarding quality. You should consider your battery as an investment, and hence, you should not hesitate to spend to be able to enjoy high quality.
- Seek the opinions of other people. Whether it is through online reviews or through asking people you know, it will be nice to use their insights and experiences to differentiate the options that you will be confronted with.
- Look for an extended warranty. If the manufacturer is confident about the quality of their products, they won’t hesitate to offer alonger warranty period. With more extended warranty, you can rely on the help of the manufacturer if problems appear.
- Pick a battery that requires minimal maintenance. This would mean that you do not have to exert too much effort in maintaining the battery, while having peace of mind that it is going to last long.
- Consider the climate in your area. You might not know it, but whether you are living in a colder or hotter area will actually affect your battery performance. If you live in warmer temperature, make sure to choose one that has a longer life.
Tips for Maintaining Motorcycle Battery
To be able to keep your motorcycle battery in its optimal quality and functionality, make sure to pay attention to the maintenance tips that will be mentioned below:
- Read Care Instructions from the Manufacturer: It is important to note that not all batteries are the same. Pay attention to the instructions with regards to how to take care of the battery and make sure that they will be religiously followed. When in doubt, ask, research, or call the company to be sure on what to do to keep the battery well-maintained.
- Keep the Terminals Clean: The terminals are among the most important parts of the battery, making it critical for such to be properly maintained. By keeping them clean, you will be able to avoid problems that are related to corrosion. It will also prevent the buildup of sediments and dirt. The latter should be avoided because when they are present in the battery, starting the motorcycle can be difficult.
- Check the Cable Connectors: Just like in the case of the terminals, you should also make sure that the cables are in their best condition. If they are dirty and loose, they could negatively affect the power of your motorcycle.
- Have a Regular Inspection: Because batteries are hidden from sight, many users fail to have a visual inspection. It is important to visually inspect it at least once a month so that you can pinpoint any issue, and consequently, you will be able to provide an immediate solution.
Importance of Using Motorcycle Battery
Generally speaking, there are three main reasons why a motorcycle battery will prove to be an essential part of a motorcycle:
- It Allows The Engine To Start: Without the battery, you will not be able to start the motor. This is the main reason why the battery is one of the first ones to be inspected when starting becomes problematic.
- It Provides Extra Power Supply: Petrol provides the power that is needed for your motorcycle, but there are instances wherein the battery needs to be the one to supply power, such as for your lights.
- It Absorbs High Electric Surges: When surges in electricity are high, you won’t feel them because of your battery.
Tips for Using Motorcycle Battery
The following are some of the things that should be kept in mind when using motorcycle batteries:
- Have them Installed Properly: Always refer to the manual provided by the manufacturer or ask for a helping hand from people who know better. If the battery is not installed properly, functionality and safety issues can appear.
- Check for Compatibility Requirements: Motorcycle batteries do not have universal compatibility. This means that you have to check if the model is going to be compatible with your bike.
- Keep the Batteries Charged: It is also important to make sure that you charge the batteries at least once in a week. If they are often drained, their functional life will be shortened.
- Check Fluid Levels: This is another important thing that you should do now and then. The level of fluid should be right. Also, you should use only mineral-free water in your bike. If there are impurities in the water, this can affect the functioning of the battery.
Indeed, shopping for the best motorcycle battery will never be easy. You do not make a decision on price alone. Being cheap is not a guarantee of being the best option. Think of the factors that we have mentioned above or better yet, focus on the models that we have discussed above. With confidence, we can assure you that they are indeed amongst the best that you will ever find.