How To Clean Exhaust Tips: Your Guide In Doing It Like a Pro?
When it comes to car detailing, exhaust tips are often overlooked. For most people, they will focus on the wheels, body, windshield, and seats, among others.
Sadly, the exhaust tips are often ignored in spite of the importance of them being properly maintained. With this, in the rest of this post, we will provide you with valuable insights on how to clean exhaust tips without the need to entrust the pros. With a little effort to spare, you can do it on your own!
When you are driving, the residue will come out of the exhaust, which will build up overtime. This carbon deposit can harden and will be harder to remove if not given attention immediately.
Cleaning it will be an effective way to prevent the tips from looking unsightly. This can also aid in the prevention of corrosion. If you have no idea on how to do this from the comfort of your home and without spending too much, keep on reading and we’ll tell you how it can be done.
What You Will Need to Follow this Tutorial?
The first thing that you have to do is to prepare the materials needed, which will include the following:
- Liquid cleaner
- Microfiber towel
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Clean Exhaust Tips
Here are the simple steps to clean the exhaust tips of our car:
- Soak the exhaust tips in a cleaner. It is best to use a cleaner that is in a spray bottle. A citrus cleaner is highly-recommended. A degreasing citrus cleaner will help to soften dirt on the surface, making it easier to be removed later. See to it that the exhaust tips will be liberally covered. Let it sit for about a minute or two.
- Now, start brushing the surface with your choice of brushing tool. Pay attention to the material that is used in the exhaust to determine which brush is best. When brushing, start from the inside all the way to the outside.
- Once you are done brushing, use a steel wool to polish the exhaust. Dab a generous amount of lubricant. See to it that the entire portion has been appropriately covered before wiping it off with a microfiber towel.
- Aside from the lubricant, you can also use a commercially-available polisher. This will effectively restore the shine of the exhaust tips to make your car’s exterior look better.
- Prevention is better than cure, even when it comes to taking care of your exhaust tip. With this, the application of metal wax is also a good idea. This will protect it from dirt in the future.
- Once it has dried, you are now ready to hit the road with your good-looking exhaust tips!
- When choosing a brush to use as a cleaner, make sure it is small enough to fit inside the exhaust. It should also be long so that it can clean hard to reach areas inside the exhaust.
- For the microfiber towel or brush, it would also be good to choose one that comes with a light color. This will easily let you see the dirt that is taken out of the exhaust.
- The wool or the microfiber towel should be soft and cleaning should be done in gentle motion. If it is too rough and if you exert too much pressure, you might end up scratching the exhaust tips.
- If you want to lessen the need to clean the exhaust tips, choose one that is made from excellent materials, which will minimize the tendency for caking or for carbon to build up on the surface. In this case, we suggest that you choose stainless steel. It is long-lasting, allowing it to survive five times better compared to chrome. It is also corrosion-resistant. With regular polishing, it will be easy for stainless steel to have a shiny finish.
- It will also be good to experiment with a variety of cleaners and degreasers. If it does not prove to be effective, use another product until you find one that delivers the anticipated results.
- Lubrication is important. Apply a generous amount of your chosen lubricant before polishing. This will lessen the possibility of scratching your exhaust tips.
- If you do not want to use soap when cleaning the exhaust, vinegar is an excellent alternative. It is readily available in the kitchen, making it a cheap solution. This will help to effectively remove ingrained dirt that soap alone cannot tackle.
From the discussions above, we hope that you now know how to clean exhaust tips on your own. It might seem like a complicated task at first, but once you know the right steps, it will be pretty much straightforward. You only need basic materials and a bit of your time to accomplish the job. It won’t take long before your exhaust tips will look and function like they are new!